5 Ways to Prepare Yourself for the New Year
Each time a new year comes along, we prepare ourselves with goals and lifestyle changes that we all hope to achieve. In reality most of these goals become lost in our day to day lives and become an idea from the past. The cause of this is mostly because our goals aren't realistic, some almost unattainable. While I believe this, I do believe that creating these goals is helpful in creating your best self.
- One of the most common resolutions is to have a healthier lifestyle. Many people write down goals such as to run three miles a day, or to workout for a certain amount of time. As for dieting, in our society its viewed as almost shameful to have any bit unhealthy food while dieting. The key to having a healthier lifestyle is the balance between health conscious and indulgence. If you want to have a workout in the morning, it wouldn't kill you to go grab brunch afterwards with friends.
- Get happier. Yes, it is the first Monday of the new year and you are super tired after winter break, but it's not the end of the world. Create a playlist of your favorite songs that boost your mood, or compliment one person a day. Simple things like this will instantly make you happier.
- Clean your room. As your mom has probably been telling you recently, clean your room. Any added stress of having to clean it later will be lifted off your shoulders and you can start the year off with, literally a 'clean slate'. Donate or sell used clothes, and revamp your space. I love the app Vinted; It allows you to simply take a picture of the item you want to sell, and instantly post it to the app. You're guaranteed to make a profit.
- Set aside personal goals. While how you appear on the outside is important, your mental health is extremely important. I like to pick up a few books to inspire me. My favorites are: The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle, Daring Greatly by Brene Brown, and Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert.
- Lastly, take time for yourself. While this might be obvious to some people, sometimes your day to day life can consume you. Take a bath and throw in some Lush Bath Bombs. Maybe even have a sip of your favorite drink while lounging in a new pair of silk pajamas.
Enjoy your new year, and remember not to take any set back in your life too harshly, because there is always a good day around the corner. xx CB